It's an amazing story of a kindergartner's alertness in Friday's Poughkeepsie Journal.
Matthew Hansen awoke at about 4am the night before Thanksgiving - he yelled for his parents that his room was too dark.
I need my eyes cheked, I can't see!
But it wasn't the darkness that was causing problems with his vision, it was smoke. Matthew's mother, Christina, grabbed him and got him out of the house. It turned out their stove, where they were making cupcakes the night before, had an electrical problem that caused it to turn back on.
Luckily, everyone is ok. The fire department arrived, and the fire was contained to the kitchen area of the home, which the family plans to renovate.
photo: Poughkeepsie Journal video screenshot