Do you remember August 14, 2003? Normally you would think....what happened on that date, 10 years ago, unless it was an incident that affected the ENTIRE Northeast Region and other areas of the US! And it did.....it was, at the time, the second most widespread blackout in history. Reported to be caused by a software bug in an alarm system at a control room of an energy corporation in Ohio.
It happened at 4:10pm and I was working at the radio studios in Poughkeepsie. I remember calling Joe Daily and he said, I'm on my way! We broadcast on the air on a back up generator until the wee hours of the morning. We were your local radio station that was on-air, live and in touch with the Hudson Valley. Many of you had battery operated radios and some spent time in your cars to cool off on this hot August day, and listened to LITE.
Many of our loved ones were traveling home, which took much longer than normal. Our co-workers were stranded in NYC at a company-wide softball game. But Joe and I, with the help of former LITE-FM staff, "kept the LITE on" as long as we could.
I'll never forget that day....the hot stagnent air in the building, the constant panting of a co-worker's dog who was brought to the building for safety, and the realization that even though we were "co-workers", we considered ourselves family and took care of eachother in the time of need! And may I mentioin that it was the first time Joe Daily and I shared a broadcast together and from that point forward, magic was made!
Where were you on August 14, 2003?
Photo courtesy of: morguefile.com